This is one of my favorite furniture makeover projects ever. Simply for the fact that it was done with just me in mind, it’s very personal and makes me think of home every time I look at it.
I picked up this dresser free, yep free! Love it when that happens 🙂 In my opinion it wasn’t very nice, I thought it had been hand painted with the white wood knobs, stripes and leaves and for a good six months it sat upstairs being used as ‘make do’ furniture in my daughters bedroom. When I finally got around to doing something with it I had the perfect idea in mind, I wanted to try decoupage with newspapers from my hometown in England, not everyone’s cup of tea I’ll admit but the idea was stuck in my head. Before we go any further with this post, I do want to point out that there is one major thing that I would do differently if I did this piece again, and that would be to research the item before I start refurbishing. Why? you may ask yourself, and I will show you…..because this!
This little beauty started off at nearly $2k! And I painted it and covered it in copies of the Bristol Evening Post like it was a bag of chips 🙄 (Sorry, British joke!) Despite the fact that I didn’t even like it, I was a bit gutted at the fact that I maybe could have sold it and bought 10 more dressers to play with. Anyway, enough of my moping over this, back to the project details. As I was waiting for the mailman to deliver my package of newspapers that my mum had sent from England I started with the prep and paint, as with all of my pieces it started with a scrub down, and as this was pre-chalk paint it also got two coats of stain block primer to try to cover the stripes, I then painted it in ColorStay Satin latex paint in antique white (with the exception of the top as this would be covered).
The newspapers arrived and mum had outdone herself with awesomeness! She’d managed to send not only a couple of the weekly newspapers but also the Anniversary edition from the Queens Jubilee, full of photos of Bristol over the last 60(?) years, it was amazing, but made the process of deciding which parts to use very difficult. When I’d finally decided and cut the articles and pictures that I wanted it was time to try decoupage for the first time, decoupage….sounds really fancy doesn’t it? Basically its sticking paper to something, there, that sounds easier already!
Starting with the top, I laid out where I wanted each cutting and began by lifting each piece and brushing Mod-Podge glue onto the dresser I replaced the newspaper cutting, smoothing it as I went to remove any air bubbles, when the top of the dresser was completely covered, I brushed a thin coat of the glue over the top to seal and stick down all of the edges. I then repeated this process with two of the three drawers. I was super excited with how this was looking 🙂 When all of the glue was dry I sealed the whole dresser with 3 coats of Polycrylic, (Tip: Always use Polycrylic on light painted pieces as Polyurethane will yellow over time), and then attached the hardware and it was finished, ready for pride of place in my dining room and as an ideal spot for the vintage look record player the hubby picked up for me. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below 🙂